Monday, May 4, 2009

Weifang International Kite Festival

Kite factory and museum
Precious cargo.....
I'm going to help make a picture.
Lovely gardens. Me & Jane B.
Now I'm helping with the picture. I'm going to be famous.
Rows and rows of newly made kites.
Whittling the bamboo for the kite frame.
Ironing the freshly painted silk.
Painting the kites......
Kites in action.....enough people???
Off to market we go.
Zibo guards--big and small.
Buddies!
Coming mom. We're just taking photos on the porch!
Hey, no! pet me....pet me.....!
Streets of Zibo.
Sisterhood.....gotta smile!
This little lady had her feet bound as a child. I wanted to put my foot up as a comparison.......
She was adorable!

The University took us on an overnight tour to Weifang and the International Kite Festival. We walked the streets of Zibo first (ancient commercial center) and the next day visited the kite festival and a kite making factory/museum. It was incredible to see them paint and then iron each piece of material or silk for the kite. There were some pretty spectacular kites--real works of art. Of course, I was more than delighted to play with the pug I found in Zibo! I went to the restroom at the kite festival which consisted of 4 makeshift walls around a trench where 4 ladies could squat side by side (no stalls). I can live without that experience again and I'm actually surprised I haven't seen it before now.

1 comment:

DeAnna Packer said...

Oh MY!!! Big Dog... Big dogs, Pugs and Faces and feet.... and the 'stalls' ... (I think I could live without that part forever :)

Do the people expect a tip when you take their picture? Or do they just expect it.