Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Still Kickin







Still Kickin It is a new week and I started my classes Monday. Terry is a seasoned teacher and I am a nervous wreck. I went to his class on Friday and watched the master in action. He is great with those kids. It was helpful because I did get some ideas and see how it was done. I have 70 students in class and that is a handful. Teaching back to back two hour classes is exhausting. I don't know how Terry and the other teachers have been doing it for two weeks now while I just try to "play house" in China. We have a banquet with the mayor that the BYU teachers were invited to on Friday and a banquet/fantango with the University on Saturday.We have a holiday here next week. National Day. We have the week off and we are signed up, paid up and ready to go on the "Silk Road Tour." Only problem is we haven't received our residence Visa. They are having trouble getting it and we have to have it to travel. We go to the police station tomorrow to try and get the ball rolling. We will have to leave our passports and it usually takes 10 days.....hmmm.....let's do the math. We'll see if we get to be tourists on the Silk Road or back to the U.S. on Saturday.

4 comments:

lori said...

Love the new pics! So proud of you guys! And check you out - you're practically celebs! Lunch with the Mayor...??

Hope all goes well with the Visas! Been looking forward to tales of the Silk Road Tour!

Brenda said...

You guys and the greatest!

I still can't hardly wrap my head around the fact that you're in CHINA, teaching, learning, doing and seeing things that I probably can't even fathom!

Good luck with the Visas, teaching and everything!

Your sister loves you a ton! Wow, what an incredible journey you're on.

Julie said...

By the way guys...the dragon/pug statue that I'm standing by is a male. You know this because under his paw he holds the "world." Under the female's paw she holds a "cub." I didn't post a picture of that one, but they are quite interesting. Thanks for your comments and support. I need it! I had my second class yesteray and you will not believe that they asked me to sing and I did. "I love you a bushel and a peck..." Humiliating.

DeAnna Packer said...

Yes, your mother is smiling at "I Love you a bushel and a peck."
When you begin each class with: "We're all together again, we're here, we're here...We're all together again, we're here. we're here....Here we are singing all together again, singing all together again...We're here, we're here!....Then I will know you are a full fledged chip of the old block :)

You sound sooo wonderful. This is truly astounding. Julie teaching and singing in China! WOW!