Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Gratitude







We are so grateful for all we have and our opportunity to serve in China....some days more than others..... We really are blessed to have the wonderful family and friends that we do. The weeks are rolling by and it seems we never catch up. We will teach our classes about Thanksgiving next week. It is my favorite holiday (next to the 4th of July)! I look forward to talking about it, but do it with mixed feelings as it is hard to be away from our loved ones at this time. The last couple of weeks have been a blur. I had about 80 of my students over to this campus for a make-up class and the "International Fair." Terry was the hit of the party. They arrived toward the end of the Fair and so we gave them a tour around campus...library, basketball arena, theater, etc. They were able to try to different food and speak English for a while. The next day in class my student, Braydon, said, "I think your husband is very happy and you have a very happy life....I love him....!" They are so innocent and sweet.

The facilitators for the BYU program were here last week as well. They came to our classes and we had some meetings and meals with them. It was good to see them and find out we were doing our jobs okay....haha....
Last Saturday was the most incredible experience as one of the sweet sisters in our branch was baptized; something we never thought to experience here. Shelly is married to Peter who is Korean and thus she is able to attend our branch and follow her desire to be baptized. She has a sweet testimony and is so humble. She is trying to learn everything she can and is very grateful for the gospel. I hope we can all be grateful for the little things and for the gospel that gives us such light, hope and peace.


7 comments:

DeAnna Packer said...

A new blog!!! With your busy schedule, we feel blessed to hear from you at all.

It is nice to hear from others that "you have a happy life"...so, it makes you want to life up to it :)

Keep happy, even in the cold, and know we all send our love... Mom

Michelle Simmons said...

I love the new post. I feel that is the only way we can keep in touch.. hehe.. Sounds like you guys are doing great and serving so humbly..
We are off today to spend Thanksgiving in AZ. I know how hard it is to be away from family on the holiday. But you have each other!!! Love you guys!!

melissa said...

That is a cool video clip, amazing costumes there. Church was bitter sweet today, talking about gratitude and thanksgiving. Got choked up knowing you would be away for the holiday. I am so grateful for your example in service and feel blessed to have you in our lives, even if it is long distance for awhile. We love you and are thinking of you.

Adam and Dantzelle said...

I am excited that you guys are going on the Hainan trip! It is going to be so much fun! Missing Thanksgiving is hard!! I am excited for you to go to Beijing! Remember when you bargain- cut the price in half or even less and then just walk away and they will usually give it to you! It is fun to bargain! Jeans- 100rmb, silk robes 70rmb, cashmere scarves 50rmb, purses 130rmb for my Chanel bag. These are some of the things I got so hopefully it will help you!

lori said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! We love you! We love these updates on the blog (Lucy LOVES to watch this video!!) and the e-mails!

We'll be thinking of and missing you this week!

Sonia said...

Hey Julie! You look fantastic as well. Wow China! I read through several posts I am jealous it looks amazing. I saw Whit's blog but she hasn't been on in a while so tell her hello from me. Great to hear from you, Happy Thanksgiving!

Adam and Dantzelle said...

Hey! I am glad you had fun in Beijing and got some fun things. That is so scary when you lose your luggage, I hope you get it all back! Adam and I lost our luggage in Canada when we first got here. I was so nervous because I only had packed a few things in my carry on and Adam had nothing. haha But we luckily got it within a few days. I am happy that you are back! Adam and I are going on the SW China tour because the Thailand trip is cancelled. I am happy that you guys are going on that trip too! See ya on Sunday!